INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS ON THE ISLAMIC WORLD IN EVLİYA ÇELEBİ’S SEYAHATNAME
6-7 December 2011, Mafraq -Jordan
Research Centre for Islamic History, Art and Culture (IRCICA), the Centre for Islamic World Research and the History Department of Al al-Bayt University are jointly organizing an international congress on the 400th anniversary of the birth of Evliya Çelebi, the Ottoman traveler famous for his book Seyahatname. Evliya Çelebi, who traveled in the Islamic world and other regions for forty years during the 17th century, wrote his observations about. This very important work drew the attention of academic circles both in the East and in the West and was translated into various languages. During the Ottoman period, the sections that contained important information about the Arab countries were translated into Arabic. In the present day, these sections are important in understanding the various aspects of the history of Arab lands, among other regions.
- Introducing Evliya Çelebi and the Seyahatname
- Introducing the translations in various languages and scholars who are working on this subject
- The place and importance of Evliya Çelebi in increasing awareness between Muslims
- The major features in the Islamic world during the Ottoman Period as set forth in Evliya Çelebi’s Seyahatname
- Encouraging Seyahatname’s complete translation into Arabic
- To present the political, economic, social and cultural situation of the Islamic World during the Ottoman period as narrated in the Seyahatname
- “The Other” in the Seyahatname
- Seyahatname as a historical and geographical source
- The place of Evliya Çelebi’s work in the Ottoman travel literature
- Seyahatname as an example of cultural communication between Muslims and non-Muslims
- Ethnicities in the Seyahatname
- Legends and history in the Seyahatname
Conditions for Participation:
- The texts of the papers should be in Arabic or English and should not exceed 25 pages (A4) in 1.5 space.
- The papers to be presented should be original studies and shall not have been published previously.
- The papers should be conform to academic standards; the references will be indicated in the text and will not exceed 2 pages.
- After examining the papers, the Academic Committee will decide whether to accept or refuse the papers that are submitted.
- Abstracts of the papers (Arabic or English) should be submitted by the 30 September 2011.
- The complete text of the papers should be submitted by 01 December 2011.
- The papers will be sent to IRCICA on CD or by e-mail.
- The participants will be received by Al al-Bayt University at Amman Queen Alia Airport and accommodated at Al al-Bayt University guesthouse. Travel expenses will be met by IRCICA.
- The papers will be prepared for publication by the Academic Committee and published as a book.
- All communications should be addressed to
Yıldız Sarayı, Seyir Köşkü,
Tel: +90 212 259 17 42
Fax: +90 212 258 43 65
Dr. Halit Eren, Director General, IRCICA (Co-Chairman)
Prof.Dr. Nasser Havalide, Vice Rector, Al al-Bayt University (Co-Chairman)
Prof.Dr. Musa Beni Halidi, Al al-Bayt University Centre for Islamic World Research
Prof.Dr. Muhammed el-Arnaut, Al al-Bayt University, History Department
Prof. Dr. Fazıl Bayat, IRCICA
Assoc.Prof.Dr. Cengiz Tomar, IRCICA
Dr. Muhammed ed-Derubi, Al al-Bayt University
Dr. Ulyan el-Caludi, Al al-Bayt University
Dr. Halil Haccac, Al al-Bayt University
Dr. Enver el-Halidi, Al al-Bayt University